15 QTP Questions You Should Know Before Interview
1. Name the types of Test Automation?
Record and Playback (does not work in real world scenario)
Hybrid Test Automation Framework etc.
2. Explain the benefits of using Test Automation?
It can be executed unattended, leaving the testers free to do other work.
Large number of data combinations can be run - Good coverage.
Re-use of test cases in the different releases/versions etc.
3. Give the names of some Test Automation products/vendors?
QuickTest Professional - HP
TestComplete - Automatedqa
Rational Robot - IBM
4. When to use Test Automation?
In one short line
Successful test-automation needs to start early in the development cycle.
5. Give a to the point narration of what Test Automation is?
Test automation is the use of software to control the execution of tests, the comparison of actual outcomes to predicted outcomes, the setting up of test preconditions, and other test control and test reporting functions. Commonly, test automation involves automating a manual process already in place that uses a formalized testing process. (Wikipedia)
6. Write advantages of using Test Automation?
Refer to Answer 2
7. Name any three types of applications you can run Test Automation on?
Test automation can be run on Windows applications, Web applications, .Net Applications, Java applications etc.
8. When would we not want to use Test Automation?
If the product is not mature enough.
If you don't have the time. The product is to be shipped after one month and you think you can buy a tool and automate a testing process in order to complete early is all rubbish. (See answer 4)
9. Give the steps of GUI Test Automation?
(related to QuickTest)
Analyzing your application
Preparing the testing infrastructure
Building your tests and adding steps to them
Enhancing your test
Debugging, running, and analyzing your test
10. Explain the difference between Keyword view and Expert view?
The Keyword View is comprised of a table-like view, in which each step is a separate row in the table, and each column represents the different parts of the steps.
In the Expert View, you can view an action in VBScript. If you are familiar with VBScript, you can add and update statements and enhance your tests and function libraries with programming.
11. How to start recording with a keyboard shortcut?
12. How to stop recording with a keyboard shortcut?
13. How to playback from top with a keyboard shortcut?
14. Is it possible to customize keyword view Fonts and colors?
Yes, Tools ->View Options.. and go to Fonts and Colors tab.
15. When will you use Shared and when local object repository?
Local Object Repository may be used if
You have only one, or very few, components that correspond to a given application, interface, or set of objects.
You do not expect to frequently modify object properties.
Shared Object Repository may be used if
You expect the object properties in your application to change from time to time.
You have several components that test elements of the same application, interface, or set of objects.